Friday, October 24, 2008

Wiki-To-Print Enabled.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/textbook-l/2008-October/001367.html

Just a short update this morning (I know I've been slacking!). The Wiki-To-Print extension has been installed on all language Wikibooks projects. I've been waiting for something like this for years now, so I'm very happy to have it. Of course, it goes live the day before I leave for vacation, and I can't play with it for a whole week!

There are a few known issues with this extension, so I would like to ask people to come check it out and give some feedback for it.

2 comments:

  1. The Wiki-to-Print feature is nothing short of fantastic. I have tried several Wiki-to-PDF converters in the past, and they all have had serious shortcomings (most often, they would crash when I fed them my book). Not only does this one not crash, is renders the text (and graphics) beautifully.

    I was ready to buy a copy of my book through PediaPress, but alas! That feature DID crash! Might be just as well - I was ready to buy a printed copy without reviewing the PDF first (I was that excited). Now I have a chance to cool down a little before committing to print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! I'm going to have so much less disposable income once I start buying these books by the bundle.

    Just imagine the possibilities of walking into a public school with a professionally printed and bound book that costs a fraction of what other textbooks cost!

    ReplyDelete